THOM BROWNE: Curiosity creates the hunger to create,” says iconic American fashion designer Thom Browne, one of the few so revered by both industry and academia. In our first JOYCE Live Curiously podcast episode, fashion editor and photographer Filep Motwary talks to Browne about the last 16 years: how a compelling singular proposition – a play on the classic grey suit – evolved to one of fashion’s most interesting contemporary narratives. His obsessions, with uniforms and uniformity, take Alice in Wonderland-like turns on the runway. He reveals his love of order, both personally and professionally, and the belief that beautifully handmade tailoring is more fashionable than fashion itself.
Listen to the podcast LIVE CURIOUSLY featuring Thom Browne HERE
JOYCE BRINGS THE WORLD OF LUXURY FASHION AND
CONTEMPORARY CULTURE TO LIFE WITH A SERIES OF
INTIMATE PODCAST CONVERSATIONS
What does it mean to Live Curiously?
The JOYCE mantra LIVE CURIOUSLY forms the title of a series of conversations with some of the world’s most creative minds. In September 2019, the high fashion retailer launches the first episodes of their new podcast exploring personal understandings of identity, purpose, passion, and motivation. JOYCE invites a select group of local and international cultural influencers to host each episode.
Featuring friends of the iconic brand, the recordings make for inspiring, thought-provoking and informative listening – this is an insight into the minds of those who have contributed to the creation of fashion, art, and culture as it stands today.
With almost five decades of experience in fashion and art, JOYCE connects a worldwide network of like-minded design, fashion & culture aficionados, with discussions that shed light on some of the most inspiring talents in the business. Why they do what they do? How do they keep ahead of the curve?
What it is that helps them stay curious?
The illuminating and intimate conversations reach beneath
fashion’s facade, exploring Creativity, Care and Craftsmanship both locally and globally. The opening episodes of the series see some of the most prominent and progressive names in the industry casually discuss their craft, lifestyle, personal philosophy and beyond:
• Thom Browne hosted by Filep Motwary, Fashion Photographer, Published Author and Editor-at-Large Vogue
• Glenn Martens hosted by Filep Motwary
• Marine Serre hosted by Tiffany Godoy, Fashion Editor and contributor for the likes of Vogue, BoF, SSENSE and Hypebeast, Founder of Instagramazine Th_Rlty-Shw
• JW Anderson hosted by David Hellqvist, Fashion writer and Online Editor of PORT Magazine. Co-Founder and Editorial Director of Document Studios
• Joseph Altuzarra hosted by Divia Harilela, Fashion correspondent for SCMP and BoF magazines. Founder and Editor of The D’Vine.com
• Colville hosted by Peter Wong, Editorial Director for Vogue Hong Kong and Editor-in-Chief of Magazine P & Ching Siu-Wai Co-publisher of Magazine P and former Creative Director of City Magazine