Editor-at-Large Vogue Greece
Independent Curator and Author, Photographer, Fashion Journalist
Fashion Features Editor at Dapper Dan Magazine
Motwary was born in Cyprus, 1977.
He is the author of two books, dedicated to Fashion.
The second one, Theorem[a]: The Body, Emotion + Politics in Fashion was released in January 2019 with a soft cover and published by SKIRA book. The publication came as a collaboration between Motwary and Polimoda University in Florence and it features his interviews with Hussein Chalayan, Jean Paul Gaultier, Pamela Golbin, Iris van Herpen, Harold Koda, Michèle Lamy, Thierry-Maxime Loriot, Antonio Mancinelli, Suzy Menkes, Violeta Sanchez, Valerie Steele, Jun Takahashi, Olivier Theyskens, Viktor & Rolf.
“Haute-à-Porter”, his first book (Lannoo 2016) examined the relationship between Haute Couture and Pret-a-Porter and was published on the occasion of his curatorial project presented at the Modemuseum of Hasselt from April to September 2016. The exhibition featured garments, accessories, photography and artwork, sculptures from more than 120 fashion designers, fashion houses, and artists. Participants included Dior, Chanel, Delpozo, Mary Katrantzou, Viktor & Rolf Yohji Yamamoto, Koen Van Mechelen, Thierry Mugler, Christian Lacroix, Vivienne Westwood, Giles, Giambattista Valli, Prada, Iris Van Dongen, Rick Owens, Gucci […]
Motwary works as a photographer while serving the position of the Fashion Features Editor for Dapper Dan Magazine since 2010.
Between 2011-2015 he collaborated closely with the founder and director of the Villa Noailles and Hyères Festival, Jean-Pierre Blanc.
He has interviewed hundreds of individuals from the fields of fashion, photography, and the arts while he often collaborates with print and online publications such as Metal Magazine, Boycott, and others.
Motwary was the founder of the renowned blog Un nouVeau iDEAL (2005-2015) that was listed among others in William Oliver and Susie Bubble’s book “The World’s Top Fashion Blogs” published by PRESTEL (2011). During its tenure, the blog received two international awards.
Alongside jewelry designer, Maria Mastori between the years 2000 to 2009, he has been creating collections focusing on womenswear. Many of his costume creations now belong to the archives of museum institutions and private collectors.
On November 20th and 21st in 2017, Motwary was invited to direct a two-day workshop at the 1st Technical Lyceum of Nicosia (CY) as part of “ACT” (ΔΡΑΣΕ) a project supported by the EU. It featured students between the ages 14-17. The workshop focused on the differences or similarities between Haute Couture and prêt-à-porter in contemporary fashion.
For Modemuseum Hasselt’s exhibition titled ACROSS JAPAN, Motwary did the selection of participant garments and artwork, the preparation and research along with the visuals presented within. The exhibition opened on 4 March 2017.
In 2012 he was invited by Linda Loppa to participate in a series of video interviews, focusing on the subjects Fetish, Monsters, and Bridges. In addition, he continued with other phone interviews to conclude this project. Among others, Motwary interviewed Rick Owens, Tim Blanks, Bruce Pask, Christian Lacroix, Robin Schulie, Etienne Russo, Humberto Leon (Kenzo), Marlo Saalmink […]. At a later stage, some of these conversation texts were published in MOMENTING THE MEMENTO by Danilo Venturi, released in 2014.
From February to June 2018, Filep Motwary gave a series of lectures to the MA students of Polimoda UNI in Florence about the practice and history of “FASHION CURATION.
On April 18, 2018, Motwary visited Florence by invitation of Polimoda’s Director Danilo Venturi for a lecture, presented through “Rendez Vous” the well-known series presented at Villa Favard. His lecture was titled “Fashion Out Of Fashion” and was presented in Villa Favard’s Aula Magna.
He is often invited to mentor young creatives at schools and universities as well as to participate as a jury member for various Fashion school competitions around the world.
For the academic year 2020-2021, he is a visiting lecturer at Polimoda UNI in Florence.
[…] Maria Grazia Chiuri of Dior, Berlinde De Bruyckere, Pierpaolo Piccioli at Valentino, Jonathan Anderson, Donatella Versace, Michael Borremans, Sandy Powell, Jacquemus, Dries Van Noten, Carla Sozzani, Luke and Lucie Mier from Jil Sander, Katerina Jebb, Giambattista Valli, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Lisa Immordino Vreeland, Andrew Bolton, Viktor & Rolf, Olivier Rousteing, Pamela Golbin, Michele Lamy, Alexander McQueen, Olivier Theyskens, June Newton aka Alice Springs, Julien D’Ys, Harold Koda, Iris Van Herpen, Nick Knight, Gareth Pugh, Hans Feurer, Thom Browne, Mats Gustafson, Natasha Fraser-Cavassoni, Vivienne Westwood, Peter Lindbergh, Sacai/Chitose Abe, Antonio Mancinelli, Colin McDowell, Lanvin’s Lucas Ossendrijver, Alexander Fury, Pierre Hardy, Valerie Steele, Farida Khelfa, Rick Owens, Christian Lacroix, Paolo Roversi, Helmut Lang, Jun Takahashi, Haider Ackermann, Yohji Yamamoto, Harry Peccinotti, Christophe Lemaire, Juergen Teller, Zandra Rhodes, Stephen Jones, Nicole Phelps, Sebastien Meunier, Glenn Martens […]
as COSTUME DESIGNER – EXHIBITIONS | PERFORMANCES |
- KOKONES. Nicosia 2021 (CYPRUS MUSEUM) Art Direction + Costumes
- MUSEE D’ART ET D’HISTOIRE DE SAINT-BRIEUC. Brittany 2015 (ATOPOS: “Yeah !!! La Mode” (group show costumes)
- LANITIS FOUNDATION.LIMASSOL 2014 (THE BETROTHED, costumes)
- CENTRAAL MUSEUM 2014 (ATOPOS: “ARRRGH! Monsters in Fashion” (costumes)
- BYRON MUSEUM. Nicosia 2013 (“BEYOND DRESS CODES”costumes)
- LA GAITE LYRIQUE. Paris 2013 (ATOPOS: “ARRRGH! Monsters in Fashion” costumes)
- MODEMUSEUM. Hasselt 2011 (PRINTS! costumes)
- HELLENIC AMERICAN UNION. Athens 2011 (“BEYOND DRESS CODES” costumes)
- POMPIDOU. Paris 2011 (ASVOFF, “NUPTIALIS: IS THIS REAL LIFE” – film)
- PALLAS. Athens 2011 (OZON, “NUPTIALIS: IS THIS REAL LIFE” film)
- MICHAEL CACOYANNIS FOUNDATION. Athens 2010 (“SARKA” film)
- PREMIERE VISION + ZOOM BY FATEX. Paris 2013 (Solo show photography at PREMIERE VISION Paris).
- LOUKIA OMNIUM GATHERUM. Athens 2016 (Group show – photography).
- ZAMBELAS ART MUSEUM. Nicosia 2018 ( Solo show focusing on two of Motwary’s work aspects, photography and journalism).
- Lush ART in Austere TIMES, IsNotGallery Nicosia 2020 (Group show)
- MODEMUSEUM HASSELT, ACROSS JAPAN, Hasselt March 2017 (research & selections of garments and visuals presented).
as Member of JURY
- La Cambre Mode[s]. Brussels 2013
- La Cambre Mode[s]. Brussels 2014
- AFA & Austrian Fashion Awards 2017
- LICHTING. Amsterdam 2018
- FASH 2019
- FASH 2020
as QUEST SPEAKER
- Fashionclash 2016
- AFA & Austrian Fashion Awards 2017
- IS SHARING ALWAYS CARING? by invitation of European Fashion Heritage Association, Onassis, Creative Commons 2020
- Head of Q&A project, POLIMODA. Florence with Linda Loppa, 2013
- Lecture “ FASHION OUT OF FASHION” April 2018, Polimoda Florence
- “30 MINUTES WITH” 1 to 1 digital meetings with ART DIRECTION students /2nd Year/ Polimoda – May 2020
Portrait by Federica Fioravanti ©