Editor-at-Large at Vogue Greece |
Independent Fashion Curator | Author & Fashion Critic | Photographer |
Editor-at-Large at Dapper Dan Magazine
Cypriot Filep Motwary was born in 1977.
Since 2018, he is the Editor-at-Large of Vogue Greece, while his interviews and stories are often syndicated by other publications under Conde Nast.
Motwary is the Editor-at-Large of Dapper Dan Magazine. His collaboration with the magazine started in 2010.
The curator, two times author, fashion critic, and photographer is considered one of the most knowledgeable experts on upcoming designers in Europe he is often invited to mentor young creatives and has participated in various competitions as a jury member.
He has curated several exhibitions, including SYNERGY: Art into Fashion presented at the A. G. Leventis Gallery in Nicosia, from 16th April to late August 2022, “Haute-à-Porter” that was presented at the Modemuseum of Hasselt (BE) in 2016, for which he was also the author of the best-selling publication bearing the same title (Lannoo, distribution by Rizzoli).
The exhibition welcomed thousands of visitors within 6 months and was ranked by Forbes as one of the top three for that year. “Haute-à-Porter” examined the links between prêt-à-porter and haute couture in contemporary fashion and how the latter inspires the first.
In 2019 he released his second publication titled “Theorem[a]: The Body, Emotion + Politics in Fashion” (Skira).
The publication came as a collaboration between Motwary and Polimoda University in Florence and it features his interviews with Hussein Chalayan, Jean Paul Gaultier, Pamela Golbin, Iris van Herpen, Harold Koda, Michèle Lamy, Thierry-Maxime Loriot, Antonio Mancinelli, Suzy Menkes, Violeta Sanchez, Valerie Steele, Jun Takahashi, Olivier Theyskens, Viktor & Rolf.
In addition, he art-directs and creates costumes for acclaimed plays, music videos, and films.
He is the director and producer for two music videos, “I am Love” (2021) and “Astral Body” (2019) currently playing on Netflix, by Freedom Candlemaker.
His costumes have been exhibited in several museums and institutions including Musee D’art Et D’histoire De Saint-Brieuc-Brittany.FR, Centraal Museum – Utrecht. NL, Benakis Museum Athens.GR. The Byron Museum.CY, La Gaite Lyrique.FR, Modemuseum Hasselt.BE, The Cyprus Museum (CY)
He is a visiting lecturer at several institutions, including Polimoda University of Florence, while he focuses on both the practice of curating fashion and art direction.
Between 2005 -2021, Motwary interviewed over 450 leading experts from the world of fashion and the arts.
From 2011 to 2015 he collaborated closely with Jean Pierre Blanc and the Hyères Festival.
Motwary was the founder of the renowned blog Un nouVeau iDEAL (2005-2015) which was listed among others in William Oliver and Susie Bubble’s book “The World’s Top Fashion Blogs” published by PRESTEL (2011). During its tenure, the blog received two international awards.
Between the years 2000 to 2009, alongside jewelry designer Maria Mastori he has been creating collections focusing on womenswear. Many of his costume creations now belong to the archives of museum institutions and private collectors.
The Cyprus Ministry of Education and Culture has invited Motwary to present his career highlights formed as a lecture to the students of the “First Technical Lyceum” in Nicosia, on October 24, 2017.
On November 20th and 21st 2017, Motwary was invited to direct a two-day workshop at the 1st Technical Lyceum of Nicosia (CY) as part of “ACT” (ΔΡΑΣΕ) a project supported by the EU.
It featured students between the ages of 14-17. The workshop focused on the differences or similarities between Haute Couture and prêt-à-porter in contemporary fashion.
For Modemuseum Hasselt’s exhibition titled ACROSS JAPAN, Motwary did the selection of participant garments and artwork, the preparation and research along with the visuals presented within. The exhibition opened on 4 March 2017.
In 2012 he was invited by Linda Loppa to participate in a series of video interviews, focusing on the subjects of Fetish, Monsters, and Bridges. In addition, he continued with other phone interviews to conclude this project. Among others, Motwary interviewed Rick Owens, Tim Blanks, Bruce Pask, Christian Lacroix, Robin Schulie, Etienne Russo, Humberto Leon (Kenzo), and Marlo Saalmink […].
At a later stage, some of these conversation texts were published in MOMENTING THE MEMENTO by Danilo Venturi, released in 2014.
His latest project is a series of films that he has written and directed for the Cyprus Handicraft Service under the title #craftingcyprus and will be presented in Paris at the Révélations Biennial of Crafts, 2022 in Paris among other places, while his third publication as the author is soon to be announced.
On November 8th, 2022, Motwary met Balmain’s Olivier Rousteing on stage at the Athens Music Hall for an intimate interview in the context of Change Makers – Fashion: The Road Ahead organized by Vogue Greece and attended by 2200 individuals.
INTERVIEWS 2005 – 2021
[…] Gabriel Orozco, Thomas Houseago, Terence Koh, Vivienne Westwood, Shirin Neshat, Giorgio Armani, Maria Grazia Chiuri of Dior, Berlinde De Bruyckere, Daniel Roseberry at Schiaparelli, Stella McCartney, Simone Rocha, Bruno Sialelli at Lanvin, Daisy Collingridje, Demna Gvasalia at Balenciaga, Erdem, Pierpaolo Piccioli at Valentino, Daniela Busarello, Jonathan Anderson, Donatella Versace, Kim Jones at Fendi, Michael Borremans, Sandy Powell, Jacquemus, Dries Van Noten, Carla Sozzani, Luke and Lucie Mier from Jil Sander, Katerina Jebb, Giambattista Valli, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Lisa Immordino Vreeland, HARRI, Andrew Bolton, Viktor & Rolf, Olivier Rousteing, Pamela Golbin, Michele Lamy, Alexander McQueen, Olivier Theyskens, June Newton aka Alice Springs, Julien D’Ys, Harold Koda, Iris Van Herpen, Nick Knight, Gareth Pugh, Hans Feurer, Thom Browne, Mats Gustafson, Natasha Fraser-Cavassoni, Peter Lindbergh, Sacai/Chitose Abe, Antonio Mancinelli, Colin McDowell, Lanvin’s Lucas Ossendrijver, Alexander Fury, Pierre Hardy, Valerie Steele, Farida Khelfa, Rick Owens, Christian Lacroix, Paolo Roversi, Helmut Lang, Jun Takahashi, Haider Ackermann, Yohji Yamamoto, Harry Peccinotti, Christophe Lemaire, Juergen Teller, Zandra Rhodes, Stephen Jones, Nicole Phelps, Sebastien Meunier, Glenn Martens […]
EXHIBITIONS & OTHER PROJECTS
as FASHION CURATOR OR/AND PUBLISHED AUTHOR
- HAUTE A PORTER (curator & author, Modemuseum Hasselt + Lannoo.2016)
- THEOREMA: THE BODY, EMOTION & POLITICS IN FASHION (SKIRA /2019) (author, Skira.2019)
- SYNERGY (curator A. G. Leventis Gallery. 2022)
His third publication as the author is soon to be announced.
as FILM DIRECTOR
- Daniela Busarello – a portrait for the Levitas and Gravitas exhibition
- #craftingcyprus short film series, part one, for the Cyprus Handicrafts Service (2022)
- VOGUE GREECE series of interviews
- I am love – Freedom Candlemaker
- Astral Body – Freedom Candlemaker
as FILM FESTIVAL CURATOR
- MODEMUSEUM HASSELT, ACROSS JAPAN, Hasselt March 2017 (research & selections of garments and visuals presented).
as COSTUME DESIGNER | EXHIBITIONS & PERFORMANCES
- MUSEE D’ART ET D’HISTOIRE DE SAINT-BRIEUC. Brittany 2015 (ATOPOS: “Yeah !!! La Mode” (group show costumes)
- LANITIS FOUNDATION.LIMASSOL 2014 (THE BETROTHED, costumes)
- CENTRAAL MUSEUM 2014 (ATOPOS: “ARRRGH! Monsters in Fashion” (costumes)
- BYRON MUSEUM. Nicosia 2013 (“BEYOND DRESS CODES”costumes)
- LA GAITE LYRIQUE. Paris 2013 (ATOPOS: “ARRRGH! Monsters in Fashion” costumes)
- MODEMUSEUM. Hasselt 2011 (PRINTS! costumes)
- HELLENIC AMERICAN UNION. Athens 2011 (“BEYOND DRESS CODES” costumes)
- POMPIDOU. Paris 2011 (ASVOFF, “NUPTIALIS: IS THIS REAL LIFE” – film)
- PALLAS. Athens 2011 (OZON, “NUPTIALIS: IS THIS REAL LIFE” film)
- MICHAEL CACOYANNIS FOUNDATION. Athens 2010 (“SARKA” film)
as ARTIST – PHOTOGRAPHER
- “The Palm-Tree Kiosk”, Phivos Stavrides Foudation, Larnaca 2021 (Group show)
- Lush ART in Austere TIMES, IsNotGallery Nicosia 2020 (Group show)
- ZAMBELAS ART MUSEUM. Nicosia 2018 ( Solo show focusing on two of Motwary’s work aspects, photography and journalism).
- LOUKIA OMNIUM GATHERUM. Athens 2016 (Group show).
- PREMIERE VISION + ZOOM BY FATEX. Paris 2013 (Solo show photography at PREMIERE VISION Paris).
as JURY member
- FASH 2020
- FASH 2019
- LICHTING. Amsterdam 2018
- AFA & Austrian Fashion Awards 2017
- La Cambre Mode[s]. Brussels 2014
- La Cambre Mode[s]. Brussels 2013
as QUEST SPEAKER
- Fashion and Tradition I & II– May 2022 + October 2022
- Cultural Sustainability Academy 2022
- IS SHARING ALWAYS CARING? by invitation of European Fashion Heritage Association, Onassis, Creative Commons 2020
- AFA & Austrian Fashion Awards 2017
- Fashionclash 2016
- “30 MINUTES WITH” 1 to 1 digital meetings with ART DIRECTION students at Polimoda, Florence since May 2020
- Visiting Lecturer at Polimoda in Florence, focusing on “FASHION OUT OF FASHION” since April 2018.
- Host of Q&A project, POLIMODA. Florence under the direction of Linda Loppa, 2013
- MADIFESTO. Brussels 2014
- CHANGE MAKERS II. Athens 2022 – Olivier Rousteing talks to Filep Motwary
Portrait by Federica Fioravanti ©