The exhibition Haute-à-Porter opened on April 2nd, 2016. The exhibition is ranked by French Vogue as one of the top three for 2016, internationally.
Furthermore, he is the Fashion Features Editor of Dapper Dan Magazine, counting approximately 250 interviews since 2004 with fashion pioneers such as Gareth Pugh, Thom Browne, Natasha Fraser-Cavassoni, Peter Lindbergh, Sacai’s Chitose Abe, Colin McDowell, Lanvin’s Lucas Ossendrijver, Alexander Fury, Pierre Hardy, Valerie Steele, Farida Khelfa, Rick Owens, Christian Lacroix, Paolo Roversi, Helmut Lang, Dries Van Noten, Haider Ackermann, Yohji Yamamoto, Christophe Lemaire, Juergen Teller, Zandra Rhodes, Stephen Jones, Nicole Phelps, Sebastien Meunier…
He started off his career assisting as a stylist for the Greek editions of L’Officiel and Vogue.
For four years he worked as head designer at the Athenian atelier Loukia for the haute couture and prêt-a-porter collections before moving to Paris to create for designers like John Galliano, Christian Dior and Chloe in mid 2000, as an intern.
Motwary continues to create costumes for bespoke projects alone or in collaboration with jewelry designer Maria Mastori with whom they worked together on six pret-a-porter collections, from 2006 to 2010.
His costumes have been presented in several of museums, including Modemuseum Hasselt in Belgium, Atopos, La Gaite Lyrique in Paris, Centraal Museum Utrecht in The Netherlands, Musée d’Art et d’Histoire de Saint-Brieuc in Brittany France.
As a visual journalist, he free-lance collaborates with the digital Joyce.com in Hong Kong since 2011, He photographed projects for Giambattista Valli, Christian Louboutin, Vogue.fr, Vogue.it, New Yorker’s THE CUT, Boycott, Harper’s Bazaar, Wmagazine, Totem, Kenzo, Chloe, Sacai, Mercedes Benz, TheStimuleye among others.
Between 2011-2015 he collaborated closely with the founder and director of the Villa Noailles and Hyères Festival, Jean Pierre Blanc.
In February 2014, Motwary was invited by Premiere Vision and Zoom by Fatex to exhibit a series of large-scale photographs as a solo show, titled “STREET IT BOYZ”.
Motwary is the curator of educational event FASHION ON SCREEN, a short films festival presented in Athens organized by Fashion Workshop, since 2014.
On June 28, 2016 he curated “Haute-ART-Porter” a mini-exhibition affiliated to Haute-à-Porter, at the Modemuseum of Hasselt in Belgium. “Haute-ART-Porter” is the result of three workshops that took place between the dates 10 to 21 May, 2016 in Hasselt and involved students from three local ART universities: Stedelijke Academie voor Schone Kunsten Hasselt, Provinciale Kunsthumaniora Hasselt and PXL-MAD | School of Arts. The workshops focused on three subjects on which the students produced fashion illustrations based on garments presented in the Haute-à-Porter exhibition, Japanese designer Yohji Yamamoto and British-Gibraltar born designer John Galliano.
On 2 July 2016, Motwary was invited as a guest of FASHIONCLASH in Maastricht FASHIONCLASH in Maastricht to speak both about Haute-à-Porter the exhibition as well as his book of the same title, published by Lannoo and available to purchase online through the publisher’s website, Amazon and selected bookstores internationally.
For Modemuseum Hasselt’s upcoming exhibition titled ACROSS JAPAN, Motwary is responsible for all the garments and visuals research presented within. The exhibition opens in March 2017.
EXHIBITIONS (as participant)
- MODEMUSEUM HASSELT, ACROSS JAPAN, Hasselt March 2017 (research & selections of garments and visuals presented).
- LOUKIA OMNIUM GATHERUM. Athens 2016 (group show – photography)
- MUSEE D’ART ET D’HISTOIRE DE SAINT-BRIEUC. Brittany 2015 (ATOPOS: “Yeah !!! La Mode” (group show costumes)
- LANITIS FOUNDATION.LIMASSOL 2014 (THE BETROTHED, costumes)
- CENTRAAL MUSEUM 2014 (ATOPOS: “ARRRGH! Monsters in Fashion” (costumes)
- PREMIERE VISION + ZOOM BY FATEX. Paris 2013 (Solo show photography at PREMIERE VISION Paris.)
- BYRON MUSEUM. Nicosia 2013 (“BEYOND DRESS CODES”costumes)
- LA GAITE LYRIQUE. Paris 2013 (ATOPOS: “ARRRGH! Monsters in Fashion” costumes)
- MODEMUSEUM. Hasselt 2011 (PRINTS! costumes)
- HELLENIC AMERICAN UNION. Athens 2011 (“BEYOND DRESS CODES” costumes)
- POMPIDOU. Paris 2011 (ASVOFF, “NUPTIALIS: IS THIS REAL LIFE” – film)
- PALLAS. Athens 2011 (OZON, “NUPTIALIS: IS THIS REAL LIFE” film)
- MICHAEL CACOYANNIS FOUNDATION. Athens 2010 (“SARKA” film)
as JURY MEMBER
• La Cambre Mode[s]. Brussels 2013
• La Cambre Mode[s]. Brussels 2014
as QUEST SPEAKER
Filep Motwary , is available for:
• Consulting services
• Media interviews in the online and offline press and media.
• Commentary on current events
• Speaking engagements and panel moderation
The logo for this website is an artwork by renowned calligrapher Nicolas Ouchenir.