Editor-at-Large Vogue Greece
Independent curator and author, photographer, fashion journalist
Fashion Features Editor at Dapper Dan Magazine since 2010
He was born in Cyprus, 1977.
Theorem[a]: The Body, Emotion + Politics in Fashion is his second book, released in January 2019. A soft cover SKIRA book, the publication came as a collaboration of Motwary with Polimoda College and University in Florence and it features his interviews with Hussein Chalayan, Jean Paul Gaultier, Pamela Golbin, Iris van Herpen, Harold Koda, Michèle Lamy, Thierry-Maxime Loriot, Antonio Mancinelli, Suzy Menkes, Violeta Sanchez, Valerie Steele, Jun Takahashi, Olivier Theyskens, Viktor & Rolf.
“Haute-à-Porter”, his initial book (Lannoo 2016) examined the relationship between Haute Couture and Pret-a-Porter and was published on the occasion of his curatorial project presented at the Modemuseum of Hasselt from April to September 2016, featuring garments, accessories, photography, paintings and sculptures from more that 120 fashion designers, Houses and artists. Participants included Dior, Chanel, Delpozo, Mary Katrantzou, Viktor & Rolf Yohji Yamamoto, Koen Van Mechelen, Thierry Mugler, Christian Lacroix, Vivienne Westwood, Giles, Giambattista Valli, Prada, Iris Van Dongen, Rick Owens, Gucci […]
Since 2010 and for almost a decade, Motwary works as a photographer while serving the position of the Fashion Features Editor for Dapper Dan Magazine .
Between 2011-2015 he collaborated closely with the founder and director of the Villa Noailles and Hyères Festival, Jean-Pierre Blanc.
He has interviewed hundreds of individuals from the fields of fashion, photography and the arts while he often collaborates with print and online publications such as Metal Magazine, Boycott and others.
Motwary was the founder of the twice awarded blog, the renowned Un nouVeau iDEAL (2005-2015) that was listed among others in William Oliver and Susie Bubble book “The World’s Top Fashion Blogs” published by PRESTEL (2011).
Alongside jewellery designer, Maria Mastori between the years 2000 to 2009, has been creating collections focusing on womenswear. Many of his costume creations are owned by museum institutions and private collectors.
On November 20 and 21st, 2017 he was invited to direct a two-day workshop at the 1st Technical Lyceum of Nicosia (CY) as part of “ACT” (ΔΡΑΣΕ) a project supported by the EU. It featured students between the ages 14-17. The workshop focused on the differences or similarities between Haute Couture and prêt-à-porter in contemporary fashion.
For Modemuseum Hasselt’s exhibition titled ACROSS JAPAN, Motwary did the selection of participant garments and artwork, the preparation and research along with the visuals presented within. The exhibition opened on 4 March 2017.
In 2012 he was invited by Linda Loppa to lead a series of video and written interviews focusing on the subjects Fetish, Monsters and Bridges. Among others Motwary interviewed Rick Owens, Tim Blanks, Bruce Pask, Christian Lacroix, Robin Schulie, Etienne Russo, Humberto Leon (Kenzo), Marlo Saalmink […]. Some of his interviews were selected later and published in MOMENTING THE MEMENTO by Danilo Venturi in 2014. From February to June 2018, Filep Motwary was a lecturer at Polimoda college and University in Florence teaching the art and history of “FASHION CURATION” to different sets of Masters students.
On April 18, 2018, Motwary visited Florence by invitation of Polimoda’s Director Danilo Venturi for a lecture, presented through “Rendez Vous” the well known series presented at Villa Favard. His lecture was titled “Fashion Out Of Fashion” and was presented in Villa Favard’s Aula Magna.
He is often invited to mentor young creatives at schools and universities as well as to participate as a jury member for various Fashion school competitions around the world.
[…] Maria Grazia Chiuri of Dior, Jacquemus, Lisa Immordino Vreeland, Andrew Bolton, Dries Van Noten, Katerina Jebb, Giambattista Valli, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Lisa Immordino Vreeland, Andrew Bolton, Viktor & Rolf, Pamela Golbin, Michele Lamy, Olivier Theyskens, June Newton aka Alice Springs, Julien D’Ys, Harold Koda, Iris Van Herpen, Nick Knight, Gareth Pugh, Hans Feurer, Thom Browne, Mats Gustafson, Natasha Fraser-Cavassoni, Vivienne Westwood, Peter Lindbergh, Sacai’s Chitose Abe, Antonio Mancinelli, Colin McDowell, Lanvin’s Lucas Ossendrijver, Alexander Fury, Pierre Hardy, Valerie Steele, Farida Khelfa, Rick Owens, Christian Lacroix, Paolo Roversi, Helmut Lang, Jun Takahashi, Haider Ackermann, Yohji Yamamoto, Christophe Lemaire, Juergen Teller, Zandra Rhodes, Stephen Jones, Nicole Phelps, Sebastien Meunier, Glenn Martens […]
as COSTUME DESIGN – EXHIBITIONS
- MUSEE D’ART ET D’HISTOIRE DE SAINT-BRIEUC. Brittany 2015 (ATOPOS: “Yeah !!! La Mode” (group show costumes)
- LANITIS FOUNDATION.LIMASSOL 2014 (THE BETROTHED, costumes)
- CENTRAAL MUSEUM 2014 (ATOPOS: “ARRRGH! Monsters in Fashion” (costumes)
- BYRON MUSEUM. Nicosia 2013 (“BEYOND DRESS CODES”costumes)
- LA GAITE LYRIQUE. Paris 2013 (ATOPOS: “ARRRGH! Monsters in Fashion” costumes)
- MODEMUSEUM. Hasselt 2011 (PRINTS! costumes)
- HELLENIC AMERICAN UNION. Athens 2011 (“BEYOND DRESS CODES” costumes)
- POMPIDOU. Paris 2011 (ASVOFF, “NUPTIALIS: IS THIS REAL LIFE” – film)
- PALLAS. Athens 2011 (OZON, “NUPTIALIS: IS THIS REAL LIFE” film)
- MICHAEL CACOYANNIS FOUNDATION. Athens 2010 (“SARKA” film)
- PREMIERE VISION + ZOOM BY FATEX. Paris 2013 (Solo show photography at PREMIERE VISION Paris).
- LOUKIA OMNIUM GATHERUM. Athens 2016 (group show – photography).
- ZAMBELAS ART MUSEUM. Nicosia 2018 ( Solo show focusing on two of Motwary’s work aspects, photography and journalism).
- MODEMUSEUM HASSELT, ACROSS JAPAN, Hasselt March 2017 (research & selections of garments and visuals presented).
as Member of JURY
- La Cambre Mode[s]. Brussels 2013
- La Cambre Mode[s]. Brussels 2014
- AFA & Austrian Fashion Awards 2017
- LICHTING. Amsterdam 2018
- FASH 2019
as QUEST SPEAKER
- Head of Q&A project, POLIMODA. Florence with Linda Loppa, 2013
- Lecture “ FASHION OUT OF FASHION” April 2018, Polimoda Florence